Culture and Heritage for Responsible, Innovative and Sustainable Tourism Actions
Duration: 04/01/2016 - 03/31/2020
Program: INTERREG EURORE 2014-2020
Cultural and natural heritage is very important at all levels, local, regional, national and European, consisting of several dimensions that can lead to resource efficiency, through deployment for sustainable and responsible tourism development with innovative character. Policies for heritage applications to eco-cultural tourism need to be further developed, implemented and monitored, through interregional cooperation.
The common challenges that are jointly tackled in the CHRISTA project are:
- natural & Cultural Heritage assets are valuable treasures, sometimes in danger and in need of proper conservation, preservation and/or restoration,
- these assets can be deployed for the purposes of sustainable and responsible tourism development, namely cultural tourism, heritage tourism and ecotourism,
- the tourism potential of these assets may facilitate the preservation and restoration efforts, if performed in a sustainable and responsible way,
- innovation can contribute greatly towards improving cultural and natural heritage policies for sustainable and responsible tourism development.
The overall objective is to protect and preserve natural and cultural heritage assets and deploy them for the development and promotion of innovative, sustainable and responsible tourism strategies, including intangible and industrial heritage, through interpretation and digitisation, with capitalisation of good practices, policy learning, policy implementation and capacity building.
Expected changes are in terms of improved policy instruments in destination regions, advances in relevant policy implementation, upgrading of cultural and natural assets and innovative applications.
Main outputs are Action Plans, with implementation and monitoring of improved policy instruments in 9 regions, communication and dissemination tools for policy learning and capacity building, contribution to EU policies and EU2020 targets.
- Pafos Regional Board of Tourism (Cyprus), Lead Partner
- European Cultural Tourism Network (ECTN) (Βέλγιο)
- Veneto Region (Italy)
- Region of Central Macedonia (Ελλάδα)
- Western Region Gotaland (Σουηδία)
- County Council of Granada (Ισπανία)
- Vidzeme Tourism Association (Latvia)
- Sibiu County Tourism Association (Romania)
- Burgas Municipality (Bulgaria)
- Intermunicipal Community of Ave (Πορτογαλία)
The Archaeological Museum of Thessaloniki participates in the program as a member of the Local Support Group.